Tesla is an American electric vehicle & clean energy company, headquartered in Palo Alto, California. It deals in electric cars, battery energy storage from home to grid-scale, solar roof tiles, solar panels, etc. Tesla led the plug-in market and the battery-electric car passenger segment with the highest sales in 2020. The company captured sixteen percent of the plug-in market (which includes plug-in hybrids) and twenty-three percent of the battery-electric (entirely electric) market.
Tesla was founded in July 2003 as Tesla Motors by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. The company’s name is a tribute to an electrical engineer and inventor Nikola Tesla. Elon Musk, who was the major contributor in the initial funding of the company, has served as its CEO since 2008.
Tesla is one of the leading companies in the automobile industry with the ability to build entirely electrically powered vehicles in-house. The brand serves the rich and affluent sections looking for electric premium luxury/sports cars.
Tesla’s strengths include:
- ‘The Roadster’ – first fully electric sports car developed by Tesla
- Other manufacturers like Toyota bring in supplies from Tesla
- Compelling technological expertise in electric transmission and drive train domain
- Ability to develop vehicles entirely along with the required sub-assemblies
- The present-day platform developed for Model S can be used for any future model they ideate, including the future crossover model
- Tesla is a stalwart in electric cars, owing to its improved brand image and brand equity over the years
Some of Tesla’s weaknesses & threats include:
- Higher cost of production as the company manufactures the vehicle entirely in-house including the sub-assemblies thereby economies of scale are not incorporated
- Their competitors who sell vehicles powered by combustion engines have a comparatively lesser price
- Concentrated heavily in western countries
- The company’s competition is against a well-rooted technology of combustion engines and also Tesla’s technology might take time for the masses to afford and adopt.
Opportunities for Tesla:
- Exemption of duties and other support from governments all over the world for eco-friendly vehicles
- Reduction in costs with improvement in quality control processes
- Entering newer markets that are still adopting electric cars like Asia, where the potential is enormous
Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk said that all future transport will be electric with the exception of rockets. The company definitely seems to be paving its way in the future.
Tesla in India
The long wait for Tesla in India is hopefully ending with the declaration of Tesla Inc. in India this year.
Tesla is offered 1,000 acres of land by the Gujarat government to establish a plant in India. It is located both within and outside Adani Ports and Mundra Special Economic Zones. It is also home to the largest private port in India.
Gujarat is one of many Indian states that are trying to lure Tesla to India. Maharashtra, Karnataka are the other two. All three of these states are located on the coast. Tesla has easy access to West Asian, African, and other markets in each state. However, the most recent offer is 1,000 acres.
The Model 3 is one of the first Teslas to arrive in India. It will launch before the end of 2012. It is expected to be Tesla’s most affordable model, but you will need to spend quite a lot to get it. The Tesla Model 3 is expected to retail for around Rs 60 lakh.
Read more brand and market stories on various industries from automobiles to fashion at Brandz Watch
The Dream11 Saga: Legal Battles and Tax Controversies in India’s Online Gaming Industry
boAt and BookMyShow Navigate Troubled Waters Amidst Rapper Shubh Controversy
Will Torrent Pharmaceuticals Acquire Cipla? Is the Indian Pharma Giant in Financial Trouble?
Tata Nexon Facelift Unveiled: A Game-Changer in the Compact SUV Segment
Royal Enfield: The Regal Journey of Luxury Motorcycles
Physics Wallah Edtech: A Revolutionary Success Story
From YouTube to Billion-Dollar Valuation: Explore how Physics Wallah transformed India's EdTech landscape with affordable education.
Ola Electric Temasek Fundraise: Ola Electric Mobility Pvt Ltd Receives $140 Million Boost from Temasek to Accelerate Growth
Snitch, a fashion label for Men’s wear, records ARR of a whopping 100 crores in Q4 of FY’22
D2C fashion brand Snitch attracts an annual return of Rs. 100 crores within 2 years of its inception, aims to become India’s biggest fashion brand for men.
MediBuddy Secures $18 Million in Funding for Expansion and Acquisitions
Viacom18 Secures TV and Digital Rights for Indian Cricket Team’s Home Matches: A Game-Changer for Cricket Broadcasting
Latest6 months ago
Ola S1 Electric Scooter: Everything You Need to Know About the Recall
Analysis5 months ago
Aryan Khan’s clothing collection D’Yavol X: The Devilishly Luxurious collection sold out in a day even with whopping prices!
News7 months ago
ReviewAdda By Rahul Jain: Helping Students Navigate Confusing Admission Processes at Private Universities
Analysis6 months ago
UpGrad vs Eruditus: Contrasting revenues in FY22
Analysis6 months ago
Yulu Revolutionizes Urban Transportation in India with Strategic Partners
Stories5 months ago
BlissClub Founder Minu Margeret: Bringing Inclusivity in Activewear
News5 months ago
Reliance, Circle E Retail in Joint Venture to Aid Hamleys and Rowan Toy manufacturing
Stories5 months ago
Nestle’s Rural Marketing strategy: Expansion in the rural landscape amid boom in business